|A number of War cards, depending on which of the following editions of Cosmic Encounter is being used:
- Eon (basic, w/Exp 1-2), West End, Games Workshop--3 War cards;
- Eon (w/Exp 3-7)--4 War cards;
- Eon (w/Exp 8-9), Mayfair (basic)--5 War cards;
- Mayfair (w/More)--8 War cards.
War cards are added to the main deck and should, ideally, be made from spare blank cards. If no blank cards are available, place a special mark on the faces of the following cards:
- for 3 War cards--one Attack 6, one Attack 8, one Attack 10;
- for 4 War cards--one Attack 6, two Attack 8's, one Attack 10;
- for 5 War cards--two Attack 6's, two Attack 8's, one Attack 10;
- for 8 War cards--three Attack 6's, three Attack 8's, two Attack 10's.
Once marked, these cards are considered War cards for all purposes. They are no longer Attack cards, nor are their numerical values relevant.
Shuffle the appropriate number of War cards (see above) into the main deck before play begins.
War cards are challenge cards, and are played in exactly the same manner as other types of challenge cards (i.e., Attack and Compromise cards). All rules regarding challenge cards--including the effects of powers, edicts, flares, moons, etc.--also apply to War cards, except as noted here.
Challenge Outcome Resolution:
When a War card is played in a challenge, the outcome is determined as follows:
- If you play a War card and your opponent plays an Attack card, he is overwhelmed by the ferocity of your assault and quickly surrenders. You win the challenge and your opponent loses, but he collects consolation for his loss (i.e., War vs. Attack has the same outcome as Attack vs. Compromise).
- If you play a War card and your opponent plays a Compromise card, he scores a diplomatic coup, demoralizing your forces and securing costly reparations. You lose the challenge and your opponent wins, AND he collects consolation based on the number of tokens he had in the challenge (even though these tokens are not lost).
- If you and your opponent both play War cards, the battle escalates out of control, leading ultimately to mutual self-destruction. Both sides lose the challenge.
Kickers (Eon Exp 8, Mayfair More):
Kickers may be played with (or against) War cards, just as they are with other challenge cards. When a War card is played in a challenge, the effect of a Kicker is as follows:
- If you play a War card with a Kicker and your opponent plays an Attack or War card, the number of tokens he loses is multiplied by the Kicker value.
- If you play a War card with a Kicker and your opponent plays a Compromise card, the number of tokens YOU lose is multiplied by the Kicker value (that'll teach you, you warmonger!).
- If you play an Attack or Compromise card with a Kicker and your opponent plays a War card, the amount of consolation you collect is multiplied by the Kicker value.
Kicker effects apply only to main players, not their allies. When a player's losses are multiplied, he first loses any tokens he had in the challenge, then sends additional tokens from bases to Warp (or retrieves tokens from Warp to bases, if the Kicker value is less than 1) until the required number of losses (or as close as possible) is achieved.
Expansion by Bryan Bowe